Monday, March 23 is National Puppy Day! This holiday aims to raise awareness of the number of dogs that need to be rescued each year.
Take a moment to cuddle your pet, or if you have no one to cuddle with consider taking a trip to your local shelter and getting a cuddle buddy. Everyone deserves love, right?
Don’t just think about puppies, either. Cats, rabbits, birds, etc all need homes and someone to love them!
Here are some fun activities you can do with your pup to celebrate National Puppy Day:
- Go on a nature hike – let your puppy experience the great outdoors. Just make sure to always keep them on a leash and be ready to take plenty of breaks.
- Take a nap together – puppies are famously great at napping, and lying down with them is an easy way to build trust.
- Give your pup a new toy – you can even make one yourself if you’re feeling crafty!
- Microchip your pet – this one may not be the most exciting, but it’s important for if your pet ever gets lost.
- Throw a puppy party – socializing your pet from a young age is crucial for making sure they grow up to be a well-adjusted adult dog.
- Teach them a new trick – it’s never too young to start learning!
- Practice playing in the water – start slow with exposure to water, try letting your puppy run through the sprinkler, or maybe wade into shallow water. Just remember to always keep a close eye on your pet while they are in water, and if you let them take a dip in a pool, make sure it’s one with stairs – dogs can’t climb ladders!
- Give your pup a treat – just be careful not to overdo it so you don’t upset their stomach.
- Volunteer – your puppy could be a great therapy dog one day, or you could be a great volunteer at your local animal shelter.
- Have a puppy photo shoot – Strike some poses, maybe even use some props or clothes if your pup will tolerate them. Share the photos with your friends on social media, they’ll love the adorable photos!
Happy National Puppy Day!