Pet Poison Prevention Awareness Month

Share it Forward....Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on LinkedIn
Linkedin
Email this to someone
email

Most people know that chocolate is poisonous for pets, but did you know there are actually several common household items that can be just as toxic?

  • Alcoholic beverages and hops
  • Many kinds of fruit seeds/pits such as apple seeds, apricot pits, cherry pits, mustard seeds, and peach pits
  • Avocados
  • Grapes and raisins
  • Macadamia nuts and walnuts
  • Caffeinated tea and coffee/coffee grounds
  • Many types of leafy plants. You might find potato leaves and stems, tomato leaves and stems, and rhubarb leaves in your kitchen, but most houseplants can be quite toxic as well! Most common are probably lilies, but you can check here (https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants) for a more comprehensive list.
  • Candy or gum, especially if it contains the sweetener Xylitol
  • Some types of mushrooms
  • Seasonings such as garlic, onions/onion powder, and large quantities of salt
  • Products containing nicotine such as cigarettes, e-cigarettes, and nicotine gum or patches
  • Yeast dough
  • Potpourri and essential oils
  • Household cleaners such as bleach and laundry detergent
  • Poisons such as insecticides or rodenticides
  • Antifreeze
  • Batteries
  • Plant fertilizer and plant food
  • Medications and supplements such as NSAIDS (ibuprofen, naproxen), cold and allergy medications (pseudoephedrine, phenylephrine), SSRI antidepressants, ADD/ADHD medications (amphetamines), cardiac medications (calcium channel blockers, beta-blockers), acetaminophen, and daily vitamins and minerals

Pet owners should take care to pet-proof their home in much the same way you would child-proof your home. This means keeping dangerous items put away in cabinets or drawers not accessible to your pet. Garbage cans are often overlooked, but make sure your furry friend can’t get into the trash, either, as it often contains many of these items.

If you believe your pet has ingested one of these substances, please seek immediate treatment for your pet. You can always call us here at My Zoo Animal Hospital (573)-875-3647 or call the 24/7 Pet Poison Helpline at (855)-886-7965. Please feel free to come by the clinic any time for a free Pet Poison Helpline sticker!

Additional resources:

Learn the signs of poisoning in dogs and cats: https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/pet-owners/basics/signs-of-poisoning-in-dogs-and-cats/

Share it Forward....Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on LinkedIn
Linkedin
Email this to someone
email